Saturday, July 19, 2008

Where The Nonbelievers Are

I'm continually impressed to discover how many atheists are out there, and also where they are.

Christopher Hitchens reported from his God is not great book tour that the American South has a good many nonbelievers; and in a testament to Southern hospitality, they attended his events in large numbers because they didn't want him to be the only atheist there!

Then there are these young Southerners:

http://atheistgirls.blogspot.com/

Another impressive young woman:

http://exchristian.net/testimonies/2008/07/ive-missed-out-on-so-much-and-im-angry.html

It's not just the young folks. This blogger de-converted in middle age:

http://40yearoldatheist.com/

It's not a "great awakening" -- we were already awake. It's more like a "great shout-out" to each other from every walk of life, all over the world. I feel a little shy about stepping up to take my place, but I won't let that hold me back.

Shout out and keep shouting. We need each other.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was hoping to see you start up a blog. :)

Thanks for the shout and welcome.

Froggie said...

Truer words were never spoken.
The bonds of these ancient belief systems are being broken right before my eyes. I would have never thought that possible twenty five years ago.

The internet is to organized religion as the printing press was to the religious control of it's day.

Thanks, Wee.
/d

Ranting Student said...

Amen!